|Posted on September 25, 2010 at 7:58 PM|
An article in the issue March 1926 Canberra Queanbeyan Advocate reprinted in the GENERAL section of this web tells of a visit of Mr Bruce, the Prime Minister to Canberra. The Hotels and their tariff is mentioned as well as houses and roads - work to hand at that time. The reader should be aware of name changes. The Hotel Ainslie referred to in this article was renamed Gorman House in 1927. The hotel then named Hotel Ainslie, today is Olems' Hotel. The article refers to the use of concrete as a road surface. Two main roads, Commonwealth and Wentworth Avenues are concrete roads now covered with bitumen. Wentworth Avenue was at that time known as Interlake Avenue.