Early Canberra

History of No. 1 Labourer's Camp (1922-c1929) F.C.T. [later A.C.T.]

Creative Commons License
Early Canberra-No.1 Labourers Camp by Ann Gugler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at http://earlycanberra.webs.com/

 

Eastlake, Westlake and Red Hill

No. 1 Labourers Camp 

No 1 Labourers Camp was also referred to in some documents as Daniel's No 1 [Eastlake & Westlake] and the [Commonwealth] Avenue Camp [Westlake]. The Westlake address was also Capitol Hill, Westlake.   

Above: Capitol Hill bottom right area - part of State Circle constructed. Commonwealth Avenue is the straight road. Hotel Canberra mid way along the road of to the left. Provisional Parliament House under construction mid right. No 1 Labourers Camp, bottom centre, and to the left of State Circle small rectangular shaped area is the Tradesmen's Camp. 

Men of No. 1 Labourers Camp at Westlake

The following photograph is a CDHS photograph showing the men of No. 1 Labourers Camp, Westlake, 1924. 

Red Hill Camp

The above photograph was taken in 1927. (Courtesy of Ron Baum). The Ablution Block and Mess buildings (timber) and the cubicles off to the right probably belonged to the Monolyte Company. However, the cubicles off to the right are probably the cubicles of the Red Hill Camp for the labourers. The site is in modern Latrobe Park, Red Hill.

Background - Construction of Canberra 1910-1920

In 1909 survey work on the city commenced and by 1912 construction of the city's infrastructure - water supply, power, brickworks, sewer - began. Work on the city was interrupted by September 1916 when the impact of World War One was felt. Caretakers were employed to mind empty buildings and work sites.

Following the end of the war in 1918 enthusiasm for continued construction of the Federal Capital waned. Canberra was referred to as a Great White Elephant. However, by 1920 the decision was made to continue construction work but on a limited scale. Plans for grand buildings were scrapped and replaced with a scheme to build a provisional Parliament House and sufficient buildings to enable the Federal parliament to move from Melbourne to Canberra. 

TOP 

Labour shortage in the Territory

The Federal Capital Advisory Committee [FCAC] was formed to take control of the project at the local level. A limited budget was not the only problem faced by the FCAC. Labour, both skilled and unskilled was in short supply and men were in no rush to leave the building booms of Sydney and Melbourne to come to the territory where few facilities were provided.

How to solve the problem of providing a labour force for the unskilled jobs in the territory was partly solved by the RS&SAILA and the Commonwealth who were faced at war's end with a problem of high unemployment amongst ex-servicemen. Following discussions a decision was made to recruit 200 ex-servicemen from Tasmania, Queensland, New South Wales, South Australia and Victoria and transport them to the territory to work. The Commonwealth paid their fares but expected the men to repay the costs over a period of their first three pays. These men became the first tenants of the No 1 Labourer’s Camp. 

Move to the FCT - Problems with accommodation

[National Archives of Australia -File A199/1 FC1923/689]

The man in charge of work details and accommodation was PT Owen. A document dated 11th April 1922 stated that:

·       50 men due to arrive in Canberra the following week to work with pick and shovel on road construction.

·       50 to arrive in about ten days and work in the Weetangera area

·       50 to work on excavations for the Hostel [Hotel Canberra]

·       50 to be absorbed on work on the sewer –

·       Total of 200 ex-servicemen. 

Accommodation for the Ex-Servicemen

In answer to the RS&SILA question re the proposed accommodation for the men PT Owen answered that at that time there were two possible camps under consideration. One was with Hope's gang at Russell Reservoir and the other at Ainslie Channel [storm water]. No details about either of these camps have been found. However it is known that No 1 Labourers Camp was established at Eastlake [near the Power House] and this appears to be the main camp in the period 1922-1924. It was moved in 1924 to Westlake to be near the construction sites of Provisional Parliament House and administrative buildings of East and West Blocks. The final move was to Red Hill around August 1927 where the camp remained until sometime after 1928.

Complaints about accommodation

Provision for accommodation for the ex-servicemen was poorly organised. This prompted Sir Austin Chapman MP, to write a number of letters regarding the lack of planning and the conditions under which the men were expected to live. One letter written on 1st May 1922 noted that the men had not been supplied with blankets and that the 14ft x 12ft tents were too small for four men. He suggested that only three men be accommodated in each tent and the rent be reduced to from 9 pence to 6 pence [9 cents - 5 cents] per week.

The Department did supply Mess Buildings, Mess Tables, benches, kitchen, firewood and caterer.

TOP 

First Strike in the Territory - Men of No. 1 and other workmen

The arrival of the ex-servicemen also heralded the first strike in the Territory. A document in National Archives of Australia [A1/1 22/7034] dated 20th April 1922 mentions the proposal of the authorities to increase working hours and reduce wages. The Argus dated 21st April 1922 reported the incident. The article in part reads:

A message from Queanbeyan tonight states that the sewer and roads workmen are on strike, although the brickyards and power houses are working there is a likelihood of cessation at any moment it is reported that 50 men who have just arrived will not work. A meeting of the builders' labourers union who are employed at Canberra will be held at Sydney tomorrow to decide what action shall be taken on the proposal to reduce wages and lengthen working hours...about 250 men affected.

About a quarter of the ex servicemen brought to the territory under the RS&SILA &Commonwealth scheme returned home.

The Eastlake No 1 Labourers Mess was vacated by 13th May, 1924 [National Archives of Australia CP464/3/1 Bundle 1/B968] and moved to Westlake

COMPLAIN BY BLUETT CONDITION OF VICTORIAN EX-SOLDIERS

The Queanbeyan Age 30 May 1922

THE VICTORIAN SOLDIERS

(To the Editor)

Sir,- I am pleased to see by the letter of Mr Everard G Crace in your contemporary’s last issue that the ‘Southern District Representative’ has awakened from his peaceful slumbers. That this yawn should come a mere month after the events he so cumbrously distorts may be counted as fortunate for these Melbourne soldiers.

It would be heartbreaking for t hem were they to leave Canberra in twelve months time and not have the comforting knowledge that though deeply concealed from the public view the ‘SD Bepresentative’ [Representative?] was watching over their destinies (when he was awake) to dispense thanks for the work other people have done.

Now, as Mr Crace has used my name as the peg on which to hang his espistle he naturally expects me to reply. In doing so I don’t wish to disturb him in his somnolence, but if he could manage to keep one eye open possibly I could put before him some of the facts he has missed. 

On Wednesday, 19th April, the day the Canberra workers were to go to work on Mr Foster’s new conditions, the first batch of 25 Victorian ex-soldiers arrived seemingly so opportunely.  Was the ‘Southern District Representative’ there to meet them or did he receive them at their camp?

Knowing, as he must have done, what was happening at Canberra, did he trouble his head what would become of these penniless men if they declined to ‘scab’ on other workers?

Did he trouble himself to see what was happening to the second batch which arrived on the 21st April?  Did he accompany Mr Gerald O’Hanlon and Mr JH Calthorpe of the Queanbeyan RS League to inquire into these men’s needs?  Did the ‘SD Representative’ move out of his easy chair to attend the mass meeting at the power house on Saturday 22nd April, when the position of these 50 strangers was discussed and a subscription list opened for their relief?  Was his benign presence noticed alongside Dr Christie and Mr WR Goddard representing the Queanbeyan Soldiers’ Branch or was he supporting Mr CT Campbell and myself representing the Queanbeyan Chamber of Commerce?  Was the name of Everard G Crace announced as a contributor to the fund for the men’s sustenance? In the case of dire necessity as was the soldiers, did the ‘Southern District Representative’ call to mind the truism that ‘ he who gives quickly gives twice?’

Then after Mr Lucas’ visit did the ‘Southern District Representative’ accompany that gentleman to Sydney and lay the case of these 50 Victorians before the Soldiers’ League? Was he present with Mr JB Young and myself to urge upon Col Lipscombe that Mr Lucas be sent at once to Melbourne to point out the injustices under which these men had been sent to Canberra?  Was the ‘Southern District Representative’ present at the meeting of the Federal members and others, or at the deputation to Sir George Fuller, or later, did he press the men’s claims, not only for themselves, but their wives and families, before the Prime Minister?

No, Mr Editor, the ‘Southern District Representative’ was too busy scanning the battle through the smoke of a good cigar from the comfortable vantage of his easy chair. And yet this is the man who has the calm effrontry to say he has written to those soldiers telling them what they may do with the money subscribed by the public to ensure them against hunger!  The money has been used and that’s an end of it.  Were it still available I think these soldiers with the added knowledge that the major part of the fund was contributed by Queanbeyan people, would have been glad to see it go to such a worthy object as the Queanbeyan Soldiers’ Memorial.

In conclusion I would remind ‘The Southern District Representative’ that it is far better to be associated with the band which plays vigorously into action and on to victory, than be the mournful drummer in the Dead March listening to the cornet playing the Last Post. Luckily it is for Mr Everard G Crace that, as Hamlet said: ‘For some must watch while some must sleep,’ otherwise these Victorians might have gained haloes while he was hibernating with Rip-Van-Winkle.

Yours etc,

WP BLUETT

(This letter was submitted to the ‘Advocate’, but as delay was likely to occur in its insertion, it was handed to the ‘Age.’ WPB)

 

No. 1 Labourers Camp, Westlake (circa 14 May 1924-circa August 1927)

Westlake -named by Walter Burley Griffin - was an area of land defined roughly by Mueller Street Yarralumla, Adelaide Avenue, State Circle, Commonwealth Avenue and Molonglo River. Stirling Park, Yarralumla is the only part of the former Westlake that has survived relatively untouched by development. Evidence is found, in Stirling Park, of human occupation by Ngunawal people and the construction era camps, settlement and cottages.

Westlake was the major accommodation centre for men working on the construction of Hotel Canberra [Contractor Howie], the Sewer, Provisional Parliament House and Administrative Buildings. In 1925 the population of the Westlake was 700. This was the second largest population concentration in the territory - Molonglo had 750.

Following the end of construction work in the area and the opening of Parliament in May 1927 the Westlake Camps were closed and moved on to new sites. Reference to No 1 at Westlake and the proposed move is found in the 27th July, 1927Sanitation Report that in part reads: [Camp] To be demolished in a month - occupants then to wooden cubicles at Red Hill site.  About 100, 12 foot x 10 foot tents of hessian and canvas.  No surface collection of water with exception of water tap drainage to earth channels extending to creek (nearly dry). Sanitary blocks sewered; garbage bins covered... 

 

No. 1 Labourers Camp, Westlake - the Site

Dorothy Maxwell, Ken Dinnerville and Arthur Freeman who all lived at Westlake during the time of the camp placed it below Lord Casey's red brick house built in the early 1930s.  [Lord Casey's was later used for other purposes including the Commonwealth Club and Canadian High Commission.]

Until recently it was thought that No 1 Labourers camp was within the boundaries of Stirling Park in the eastern end. The discovery, by Robina Gugler, that the site of No 1 Camp is within the grounds of the Chinese Embassy and on part of Flynn Driver was the result of research work using a number of aerial photographs that date between 1927 and 1990s. The earliest photograph that is part of the Canberra District &Historical Society collection clearly shows the camp and surrounds.

TOP 

The Camp

The 1927 aerial photographs show that No 1 camp consisted at that time of seven rows of tents - each row with ten tents. Two men shared each 10ft x 12ft tent. At the time the photograph was taken there were 135 men still in the camp. This number was 15 less than in May 1925 when construction work was at its height.

The space between the rows was sufficient for a vehicle to travel. This land may have been used to move the tents forward from time to time. I have read directives that require men to carry out this move -to allow the sun from time to time to reach covered areas. The space between each tent in the row was minimal

Government owned tents constructed out of canvas were provided with timber floors. Some men brought their own tents that were made from canvas and/or hessian. Some residents added a tin fireplace to their abodes in an attempt to provide some comfort during the Canberra winters.

Timber buildings were placed on the perimeters of the block of tents. These buildings were moved to the site using steam driven traction engines. One building was rented to J Arbuckle who ran a general store and barbers shop. Other buildings included Mess Room [eastern end], Recreation Room, Ablution Blocks [cold water showers & tin baths], lavatories and laundry. Wood fired coppers were provided to heat water for baths and personal washing. Water was carried by bucket to baths and washing troughs.

Furthest from the tents were the lavatories, which up until the time the main intercepting sewer was ready for use [circa 1927] used a pan system. The pans were collected twice weekly and taken to the night soil dump at Westridge [Yarralumla]. Connection to the sewer probably occurred because the underground sewer tunnel constructed in the Westlake area between 1922 and May 1925 went under or close to the camp. One of three remaining heritage listed sewer vents is on nearby Stirling Ridge.

Because of the distance between lavatories and tents some concern was voiced by authorities that many men during the night did not make the walk to the lavatory and urinated close to their tents. The problem was solved by putting bails of hay relatively close to the tents for the use of men. These bails could be removed and replaced regularly.

The camp had two street lights and it is probable that the main service buildings were connected to electric light. Electricity was not connected to tents. Men used candles, or hurricane or kerosene lamps. Camp rules forbad the use of wax matches.

Waste Water Drainage

The camp was connected to the water supply. Only one tap in the grounds was available for general camp use. Water was supplied to the Mess, Showers and laundries. Wastewater was drained into earth channels and directed to natural drains such as creeks and quagmire.

Because the site of No 1 Camp has been built upon there is no evidence of the camp use of the land. However, drainage systems used in the nearby contemporary Tradesmen's Camp are found on the hillside opposite Lotus Bay and it is probable that similar systems were used at No 1.

On the western side of the quagmire between Forster Crescent and an old road are the remains of Tradesmen's Camp ablution, laundry & lavatory buildings and their drainage systems. Descriptions of this area are found in the 27th July Sanitation Report in which the following recommendation was made:

Sanitary Blocks—drainage to long quagmire to be shortened and directed to shallow trenched patches, used alternatively.

From archival documents it is known that a new set of buildings was erected on this site in 1925 and evidence of these buildings are still clearly evident on the site. That the buildings were well used is confirmed by the many paths, which converge on and go around now non-existent buildings. One path stops abruptly at an entrance door. At the point where the men stepped into and out of the building the ground is reinforced with a few stones. Nearby to this particular building site is flat area of land that is connected to the old road below by a track. There is sufficient room on the flattened land for a horse and dray to turn and back up to an earth platform. I suspect that the nearby building was a lavatory block and the platform enabled men to load full pans on to the waiting dray without fear of accident.

Found on this site near the quagmire and other places on the hill are a number of circular and oval shaped holes that range from around one to two meters across. Each is dug to a depth of around one metre. On the lower slope side of each hole are channels that direct water to natural drainage areas. Smaller rock lined holes connected by zig-zag channels have also been found near a building site -possible a Mess?  Some water flow areas have been reinforced with stones and bricks set into the ground.

Pipes -metal and concrete are used in a number of the drainage systems. Some are found in the area near the quagmire. Another of the type shown in a photograph No1 Camp protrudes into a ditch below the area of Howie's Hostel Mess. 

TOP

Mess & Caterers

Each camp was provided with a caretaker and Mess Caterer. The men of the Old Tradesmen's Camp formed a co-operative and employed their own caterer. All the other camps in the territory including No 1 used a caterer provided by the authorities and in the case of No 1 it was Herbert Daniel. He left sometime in 1927 when his business was taken over by Bill Mitchell. Herbert Daniel in choosing to go with the men from Eastlake meant that he had to give up his small brick cottage opposite the Power House to move into 16 Westlake - a small unlined timber cottage-across the hill from the camp. The transfer meant the loss of a number of comforts that included leaving a home with enamel bath and chip heater for one with a tin bath and water heated in the copper.

Following the closure of No 1 at Westlake Bill Mitchell moved to White City Camp near Civic. Here he went broke because the majority of the men in the camp were unemployed because of the downturn in work following the opening of Parliament. They could not pay their bills of 26 shillings [$2.60] per week. Bill Mitchell continued to feed them without payment.

From menus found in National Archives of Australia and information from Cecily Hinchliffe [daughter of Mess Caterer Mrs Stanley] and Jean Oldfield [worked in Mrs Townsend's Mess Westridge] it is known that the food provided by the Mess Caterers was basic and plentiful. Breakfast and evening meals were cooked and those who wanted a cut lunch were provided with it. Cutting the bread for sandwiches was an onerous task and the fillings included cold meats [from the roasts], jams, and meat and fish pastes. Condiments were essential and numerous tomato sauce, vinegar, pickle and paste bottles along with broken beer bottles are common items found in the camp dumps. 

Camp Life and Leisure Activities

Life in the camps without families must have been difficult for many. Leisure activities included sport -football in winter and cricket in summer. Tennis was played all year round. Men of No 1 may have joined the Hostel Cricket Club founded by Howie's men in 1922. The local cricket pitch was on Block 1, Section 128.  The open area was also used in the winter months for football. Incidentally, when John Butters took up his position as First Commissioner at the beginning of 1925 he banned competitive sport on Sundays. He also spoke out against allowing liquor to be sold in the territory.

Gambling, was, like the drinking of alcohol, banned in the camps. However both rules were ignored. The Gleaner [HLB Lasseter] in the March 1926 issue of The Canberra Community News for example, noted that two-up was one of the favourite activities at No 1 and Tradesmen's Camps.

Other activities of importance to the men included RS & SILA meetings and Smokoes. At these functions the men were able to reminisce. Some joined one of the Friendly Societies such as the Druids. They could also attend concerts and dances that were held in places such as the Howie's and Causeway Halls. At the latter venue boxing, gymnastics and the pictures [films -movies] were also held.

The Burns Club was founded in nearby Howie's Hostel Mess in 1924 and the Social Service Association that was designed to look after the welfare of the workers was formed the following year. As well as sporting activities the Association also provided limited library facilities. The Philharmonic Society founded in the mid twenties provided for those who enjoyed singing and the Canberra Band was also established.

Many of the men travelled to Queanbeyan after work on a Friday and or on a Saturday. Sundays - the pubs were closed. The territory had been officially dry since 1913 and the only way to legally buy alcohol was to travel to nearby Queanbeyan. The Gleaner [HLB Lasseter] in his article in The Canberra Community News 11th March 1926 noted that around 2000 pounds [$4,000] was spent by territory employees in Queanbeyan each week - much on the drop that cheers. [The average labourer's wage was between 3 and 5 pounds - $6-$8 -per week.]

A great quantity of alcohol was also consumed in the camps. Sergeant Cook who was the second police sergeant in the Territory was quoted in The Argus 21st March 1938, in an article When Canberra Was Young and Wild, as saying that when a Bottle-Oh came to Canberra to collect the bottles in the camps he found them in neat stacks. He collected 170,000 dozen -that is 2,044,000 bottles. Each bottle earned him one-penny -the deposit on the bottle. He made a tidy sum. Today broken beer bottles dated between 1922 and 1927 are still found on the campsites. 

Death on the Hillside

Several men who lived at No 1 Camp died on the hillside opposite Lotus Bay. The Canberra Times 13th January 1927, contains a detailed account of a drinking bout that resulted in the accidental stabbing of John Miley and the charge of manslaughter against the man responsible. Mentioned in the article is George Sykes who later moved to 29 Westlake. One of the two Westlake plaques in Stirling Park is placed in his yard, which is near the corner of Empire Circuit and Forster Crescent, Yarralumla—opposite the Mexican Embassy. George Sykes and his brother Gay were the first owner Taxi drivers in the territory.

The death of William Joseph Ogilvie was reported in an October 1927 issue of the Times. He was 26 years of age and had left home some ten years earlier. Shortly before his death at No 1 he ran into his brother, James Egerton Ogilvie whom he had not seen for a decade. The cause of William's death and that of the man who shared the tent, was a fire that engulfed their tent within a short period of time making it impossible for the men to save them. Whether it was a fallen candle or a spark from the fire in the fireplace that caused the tragedy is not known. The article went on to say that only one tap was available for the men to use and that there was no telephone in the camp for a call for help to be made.

A year earlier Charles Bruce [also known as Charles Jackson] died at the camp of natural causes on 25th June 1926 aged 52 years. He was a builder's labourer and is buried in St John the Baptist churchyard. The burial expenses were paid by his mates.

TOP 

The Move to Red Hill Camp

The site of Red Hill Camp is in Latrobe Park Red Hill. Some of the men listed in this camp in the 1928 electoral roll also added the word -Westlake. It is possible that Red Hill was considered by some to be part of Westlake. A Memorandum in National Archives of Australia refers to the Westlake Camp and the proposed move. [A6266G27/2045] Part of it reads:

With reference to your memorandum No 27/6091t dated 1st June, relative to the accommodation of workmen employed by the Commission, I am directed to inform you that the statement of Messrs Kelly and O'Neill [AWU] in their letter to Mr Charton, MP, dated 7th April, that “as is usual with Government Departments the Home & Territories Department has clouded the issue" is considered to be without foundation.

As to the two camp localities particularised by Messrs Kelly and O'Neill, I am to say that complaints were made that there was insufficient laundry accommodation for the men accommodated at the No 1 Laborers' Camp, and that there were only two street lights provided there. A large number of men temporarily engaged during preparations for the Royal Visit were housed in this camp, and the conveniences mentioned, which were adequate for normal requirements, were certainly heavily taxed. However, a subsequent reduction in the number of workmen employed, resulting in a large number of men departing from the camp, has removed the cause for complaint. The Red Hill Camp was a temporary provision, and was established owing to the necessity, which arose for the removal of the camp in close proximity to Parliament House. It would appear that the men who moved their own tents to Red Hill did not do so under supervision. Further, some difficulty has been experienced in dealing with these men, who at the outset arranged their horse lines alongside their own camp lines, insisting that they desired their horses and horse feed to be quite near their tents. This camp, however, is being placed upon a proper basis.

The dimensions of the cubicles erected by the Commission have been checked. The internal measurements are 11ft 6 ins x 9ft 6 ins. The walls are 6ft 2ins high, and the ridging is 8ft x 8 ins high. The cost was 32 pounds ten shillings, and added charges for maintenance, camp attendance, garbage removal, provision of dining and recreational facilities, lighting etc. are all included in the charge which is made for rental, which is considered to be reasonable.

It may be mentioned that the tent camps, which form the subject of the criticism are those in which tents and structures have been erected by the tenants…

Red Hill Camp closed around 1929. The cubicles were sold and the one in the backyard of Calthorpe House in Mugga Way may have come from this camp. 

TOP

Who were the Men of No.1 - Where did they go?

No comprehensive lists of the men who lived at No 1 Labourers Camp have been found. Some lists of the recruited ex-servicemen are available. Others names are found on the 1928 Electoral Roll. Others are found in magazines such as the Roman Catholic Angelus and Community News. The majority of men who lived in No 1 Labourers Camp remain anonymous.

The Gleaner [Lasseter] in one of his articles in the Canberra Community News wrote that Canberra's labourer’s came from many walks of life. Some were well educated men with university degrees—some came from the blue and white-collar class and others were men who were in the trenches when they should have been learning their trade. Many were men who found it difficult to settle down after the war.

Some returned home -some went back to humping the bluey – and some stayed. 

Men of No. 1

The list for the first 25 men selected by RS&SILA 12.4.1922 follows: [Note the number of married men who left wife and families behind to come to FCT to work.] 

 Name             Address                                    S/M Remarks          Work

JJ Shepherd    144 Ballair St Kensington            5 remounts                lab

J Lee               32 Charles St Prahan                 M 7th Btn                   lab

ET Kinninmont 189 A’Beckett St, City                M 60th                       pick & shov

ET Wallace      Vict St Altona                            M 5th Btn                   pick & shov

A Moles           4185 Canterbury Rd                   Middle Ph M 6th             pick & shovel

H Quinn           Booths Home, Londsdale St City 5                               miner

S McMillan      14 Edward St Elsternwick            M 59th                       labourer

JP Kelt            19 Nimmo St Middle Park            S 58th                       miner

LJ Coverdale    40 Caroline St Clifton Hill             S 5th                         hand & drill

LJ Coverdale (crossed out)

E Powers         36 David St East Brunswick        S 1st tunneling Co.     miner

JH Flood          126 Napier St, S Melbourne        14th Btn         labourer

A Waters          255 Victoria Parade EM             M 1st Pioneers           labourer

WH Haviell       Gordon House, Little Bourke St City-Widower reinforcements labourer

AJ Wylie          Arondale Rd, Chelsie                 M 7th Btn                   labourer

J Drayton         35 Milton St W Melb                  M 8th Btn labourer

J Drayton [crossed out]

C Bishop          Gordon House, Little Bourke St City   M 2nd Tunnel Co    miner

W West            125 Queensberry Street N Melbourne M 5th Pioneer labourer

J O'Rourke        33 Stead St S Melbourne S 3rd Pioneer labourer

AJ Bannister     Royal Standard House, Little Bourke St Melbourne  M 60th labourer

HN Podger        147 Johnstone St Fitzroy M Navy pick & shovel

GL Podger        217 Young St Nth Fitzroy S 24th Btn labourer

J Armstrong      27 Creswick St Hawthorn M 21st Btn labourer

John Morley      71 Palmerston St Carlton M 24th Btn labourer 

List of Ex-Servicemen brought to the Territory

Below is a list of ex-servicemen brought to the territory under the scheme who left the territory.

 Name From Date/reason

C Andre Melbourne 10.8.22 voluntary

RJ Andre Melbourne 5.8.22 voluntary

G Bull Melbourne Cleared out

J Armstrong Melbourne 7.8.1922 voluntary

RF Melbourne Cleared out

J Carroll Melbourne 28.6.1922 voluntary

L Crook Melbourne 30.5.1922 voluntary

J Clancy Melbourne 5.6.1922 voluntary

W Flanagan Melbourne 11.7.1922 L7S

FJ Daveron Sydney 29.6.1922 voluntary

F Farrell Melbourne 22.5.1922 voluntary

Ferguson Sydney 8.6.1922 voluntary

J Groves Melbourne 24.7.1922 voluntary

WH Haviell Melbourne 22.5.1922 cleared out

EH Hennessy Melbourne 10.8.1922 voluntary

H Hines Melbourne 5.7.1922 incurable illness

H Jones Sydney 5.7.1922 voluntary

F Johnson Sydney 29.6.1922 voluntary

D Kelly Melbourne 25.7.1922 voluntary

J Lee Melbourne 5.8.1922 discharged

L McGrath Melbourne 25.7.1922 discharged

JC McGrogan Queanbeyan 7.11.1922 voluntary

R McCauley Queanbeyan 11.7.1922 voluntary

F North Bungendore 8.7.1922 voluntary

JP Paull Melbourne 5.8.1922 discharged

M O'Rourke Queanbeyan 29.6.1922 voluntary

FN Pickering Sydney   29.6.1922 voluntary

C Roberts Melbourne 5.8.1922 discharged

J Rooney Melbourne 11.5.1922 voluntary

RB Stowe Queanbeyan 25.7.1922 voluntary

EJ Wallis Melbourne 6.6.1922 voluntary

A Waters Melbourne 7.6.1922 voluntary

W West Melbourne 1.6.1922 voluntary

F Wilson Queanbeyan 10.7.1922 voluntary

F White Sydney 8.7.1922 discharged

JP Woods Bungendore 29.6.1922 voluntary

W Woods Bungendore 21.9.1922 voluntary

R Chisholm Melbourne 7.8.1922 voluntary

The total number who departed were: 4029 left voluntarily, 3 cleared out, 6 discharged and 1 had an incurable disease. 

TOP 

1928 Electoral Roll - Red Hill Camp

ALLAN, Francis labourer

BARNES, Joseph labourer

BISSET, Ronald  labourer

BLAKSTON, James lorry driver

BLAY, Thomas labourer

BRENNAN, John labourer

BROWN, William labourer

BULL, John labourer [Westlake]

BURGE, George electrician

BYRNE, Dennis labourer [Westlake]

CHRISTIE, John labourer

CRAN, Peter labourer

DALE, John labourer [Westlake]

FEBEY, John

FITZPATRICK, John labourer

GALLIE, James pipe inspector

HASTINGS, William labourer

HENRY, George labourer [Westlake]

IRVING, Harold labourer [Westlake]

JAMES, Wilton gardener [Westridge]

JOHNSTONE, John labourer [Westlake]

LANE, Leslie labourer [Westlake]

LAVELL, William labourer

LOWE, Alan labourer

MARSHALL, Alan cook [Westlake]

MATHIESON, George labourer

MEARNS, John labourer

MUIR, Henry labourer

MURFET, Reginald labourer

NOWLAND, Reginald labourer

O'CONNOR, John labourer [Westlake]

O'SHEA, John labourer

PARKER, Robert labourer

POLA, John labourer [Eastlake]

PRESTON, Joseph labourer

ROBERTSON, William labourer [Westlake]

ROBINSON, George labourer

ROSS, Charles labourer

SMITH, George labourer

SMITH, John labourer

THORNTON, John labourer

THOROGOOD, Joseph camp caretaker

WATSON, George gardener 

TOP