|Posted on September 28, 2010 at 9:11 PM|
In the CANBERRA 1920s section an new article from the Canberra Times in relation to costs of the Social Service Association and questions about number of blocks bought by men working for the Commission. The Social Service Association was established in Canberra in 1925 under the auspices of the Federal Capital Commission. It replaced the numerous Progress Associations and was responsible for the construction of the Causeway Hall under the 50 - 50 system. The men supplied the labour and expertise free and the FCC the materials. This article lists the other major achievements of the SSA but neglects to mention that it failed to provide the civic rights that people demanded. The FCC did not have the power to provide this request/demand of the locals. The SSA ceased in 1929 a short time before the departure of Sir John Butters, chairman of FCC and First Commissioner. In March 1930 the FCC was replaced by and Advisory Committee that advised the Minister for the Interior on matters relevent to the running of the FCT.